The August Agency is always on the hunt for exceptional writers to represent. We have many ways of finding them, however we only accept unsolicited queries exclusively through our Submission Form found below.
We welcome submissions with an emphasis in the following areas:
- fiction & nonfiction with an international flavor
- crime fiction and true crime, including historicals
- popular culture, arts, & entertainment
- media/current events (seasoned journalists receive special favor here)
- political & social sciences
- international authors with works of international significance
We favor persuasive and prescriptive works, each with a full-bodied narrative command and an undeniable contemporary relevance.
At this time, we are not accepting the following types of submissions:
- genre fiction, romance, horror, westerns, fantasy, or science fiction
- projects by blowhards, bigots, bitches*, or bastards*
*Female canines (so long as they can write well) and children born out of wedlock (so long as they can write well) are not excluded from submitting. (Yes, we have a sense of humor, and a low tolerance for unnecessarily difficult people.)
Our staff is made up of highly selective, seasoned publishing professionals who will give serious consideration to original, creative, and quality manuscripts from extraordinary writers.
We do not charge a reading fee.
PRIOR TO SUBMITTING
If you want to be an ordinary writer, write an ordinary book. But if you want to be an extraordinary author, be prepared to go the extra mile. Be sure you have:
- completed your novel or produced a comprehensive nonfiction book proposal with sample chapters
- achieved publishing credits
- written a snappy bio accompanied by a dynamic author photo
- written a synopsis to sum up your book
- identified your target audience
- planned your author-driven promotion
- read numerous books on writing craft and how to prepare your work for submission
- kept yourself current with publishing news through social media and by reading newsletters & blogs
- established your platform and can show how you are connected to your target audience
- attended writers schools, conferences, workshops, or retreats
- vetted your work using peers, a critique group, and/or an independent editor
Upon review of your query, if we wish to see more we will request it. Understand, however, at that time you will be in the deep end of the publishing ocean and are expected to be able to swim on your own. We expect to be working with a confident professional who can produce the professional-level materials and information necessary for us to do our job effectively, such as emails, proposals, manuscripts, photos, submission packages, etc. Our services are exclusive to representing your interests as your literary agent, including marketing your work to publishers, negotiating publishing agreements, processing royalties, and handling related financial and contractual paperwork.
WE ARE CURRENTLY
We will always accept queries by referral or by request at a writers conference.
~ Hit Lit, James W. Hall
~ On Writing, Stephen King
~ Tell It Slant, Brenda Miller & Suzanne Paola
~ The Career Novelist, Donald Maass
~ The Novel Writer's Toolkit, Bob Mayer
~ Hooked, Les Edgerton
~ Bird by Bird, Anne Lamott
~ The Writing Life, Annie Dilliard
~ Aspects of the Novel, E. M. Forster
~ Writing Down the Bones, Natalie Goldberg
~ Wild Mind, Natalie Goldberg
~ Zen in the Art of Writing, Ray Bradbury
~ Story, Robert McKee
~ The Elements of Style, William Strunk
FREE - FREE - FREE
"Scribes," a bestselling writing documentary by filmmaker Rusty Nixon, gives you the inside scoop on what it takes to break into publishing and become a professional writer. It features writers conference workshops, keynote speeches, and one-on-one interviews with powerhouse agents and editors, producers, and publishers, as well as some of today's bestselling authors, including: Terry Brooks, Elizabeth Engstrom, Diana Gabaldon, Anne Perry, John Saul, Michael Slade, Jack Whyte, and more, including our own Cricket. It's a humorous, honest, and sometimes painful look at the writing industry.
Rusty has graciously made "Scribes," the first DVD selected for WD's Book-of-the-Month Club, available for you. Sit back, relax, and learn. Watch it on our Writers Conferences page here.
Visit our network of writers' resources
supporting literary & literacy charities: