The August Agency is always on the hunt for exceptional writers to represent. We have many ways of finding our clients, however we only accept unsolicited queries occasionally through our Submission Form found below.
We welcome submissions of:
- crime fiction and true crime, including historicals
- popular culture, arts, & entertainment
- media/current events (seasoned journalists receive special favor here)
- political & social sciences
- fiction & nonfiction with an international flavor
We favor persuasive and prescriptive works, each with a full-bodied narrative command and an undeniable contemporary relevance.
We have never accepted the following types of submissions:
- children's books, young adult
- genre fiction, romance, horror, westerns, fantasy, or sci-fi
- projects by blowhards, bigots, bitches*, or bastards*
*Female canines (so long as they can write well) and children born out of wedlock (so long as they can write well) are not excluded from submitting. (Yes, we have a sense of humor, and a low tolerance for unnecessarily difficult people.)
Our staff is made up of highly selective, seasoned publishing professionals who will give serious consideration to original, creative, and quality manuscripts from extraordinary writers.
We do not charge a reading fee.
PRIOR TO SUBMITTING
If you want to be an ordinary writer, write an ordinary book. But if you want to be an extraordinary author, be prepared to go the extra mile. Be sure you have:
- completed your novel or produced a comprehensive nonfiction book proposal with sample chapters
- achieved publishing credits
- written a snappy bio accompanied by a dynamic author photo
- written a synopsis to sum up your book
- identified your target audience
- planned your author-driven promotion
- read numerous books on writing craft and how to prepare your work for submission
- kept yourself current with publishing news through social media and by reading newsletters & blogs
- established your platform and can show how you are connected to your target audience
- attended writers schools, conferences, workshops, or retreats
- vetted your work using peers, a critique group, and/or an independent editor
Upon review of your query, if we wish to see more we will request it. Understand, however, at that time you will be in the deep end of the publishing ocean and are expected to be able to swim on your own. We expect to be working with a confident professional who can produce the professional-level materials and information necessary for us to do our job effectively, such as emails, proposals, manuscripts, photos, submission packages, etc. Our agency services: representing your interests as your literary agent, marketing your work to publishers, negotiating publishing agreements, processing royalties, and handling related financial and contractual paperwork.